B.Sc. Biology, B.Sc. Biochemistry, B.Sc. Natural Sciences must also apply for the Master's degree via the portal.
Application period for summer semester 2024: 02.11.2023 - 15.01.2024
The application period ends on 15th of January. After the 15th of January an application is not possible!
Applications must be submitted via a web-based platform: https://digstu.hhu.de. The applicant must first register on the platform and can then submit the application. Language settings can be changed on the platform at the bottom right.
Please note that the documents in languages other than English or German have to be certified by a sworn translator. We ask you to create one PDF file with the original and translated document before uploading it to the portal.
In order to assess your application for a student seat the following documents must be provided:
- In case you have not completed your bachelor program yet, an interim certificate with at least 150 CP (80 %) of examination and study achievements has to be submitted instead.
- The total mark should be at least 3,2 according to the German system.
- The final grades for foreign applicants will be converted by the University Düsseldorf on the basis of the Modified Bavarian Formula. Please do not convert it yourself.
Transcript of records
- If your transcript of record does not list credit points or credit hours you have to submit an additional document which list this information.
Proof of English proficiency (e.g. IELTS (6.5) or TOEFL-iBT (>90) certificate)
APS certificate for students from china, vietnam or india
- If you already have a Master’s degree, please upload the relevant documents in the respective part of the application.
- An application via Uni-Assist (VPD) is not necessary!
- Application via Hochschulstart is not possible!
In the case that the requirements (e.g: Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 300 hours, one third of the study program should include practical training, 80 CP general biology and 30 CP chemistry, mathematics and physics) are not verified from the transcript, diploma or diploma supplement, you can upload additional documents (e.g. confirmation from the study coordinator, please do not upload a module handbook or letter of reference. Please understand that we do not have the staff to review module handbooks for all applications. Letters of reference do not replace evidence of the requirements for the degree program).
If you have any questions, please send an e-mail to and state your applicant number and first and last name (as entered on the platform) so that we can better process your enquiry about your application.
Applications that are received outside the application period will neither be processed nor considered.
The program is open-admission and requires "proof of special aptitude". The department checks the professional suitability on the basis of the submitted documents.
Application and provisional admission is possible with a minimum of 150 CP and an overall grade of 3.2 or better.
A start of studies is possible in the summer and winter semester. The application period starts on:
- 1st November and ends on 15th January for the summer semester (01.04. - 30.09.)
- 1st May and ends on 15th July for the winter semester (01.10. - 31.03.)
Applications must be submitted exclusively via the HHU application portal.
The determination of suitability is made by examining the submitted documents. These documents are used to determine whether the required entrance requirements were met during the bachelor's degree program. For the verification of eligibility we need the following documents:
- Degree certificate with transcript of records.
- If not available, a preliminary transcript or a current transcript of records with at least 150 CP is sufficient.
- Applicants from abroad must submit a certificate of graduation, which serves as a university entrance qualification for enrollment.
- Individual proof of English language skills
- Germ. Abitur/ German university entrance qualification
- Degree from a full-time English-speaking university in the USA, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand
- TOEFL (90 iBT)
- IELTS (6.5 or better)
- the Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (Level B2, CAE)
The requirement for the Master's program in Biology is a relevant degree with a Bachelor of Science with a standard period of study of at least 6 semesters and a final grade of 3.2 or better. In addition, good English language skills are required (possible proofs are listed under Documents).
A study program at a German or foreign university that fulfills the following criteria is considered relevant:
- At least 80 credit points (CP) in basic biological modules in the subject areas: Organismal Biology, Cell Biology, Microbiology, Genetics, Molecular Biology and Physiology.
- At least 30 CP in basic science, covering the following subjects: Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics
- at least one third of the study program should be completed in the form of laboratory practicals
- Bachelor thesis of at least 10 CP
Application and preliminary admission is possible from 150 CP and grade 3.2 or better.
The degree program can be studied entirely in German or English. The language in which the modules are taught is indicated in the module handbook or can be seen in the module overviews of the specializations. If you speak both languages, you can choose all modules and thus all specializations. If you speak only one of the two languages, you have a more limited choice of modules and specializations. The majority of modules are currently offered in English. However, it is possible to study the program completely in German if you wish.
- Dr. Kirsten Fittinghoff
- +49 211 81-15356
- Building: 26.24
- Floor/Room: U1.072
- Office Hours
On vacation from 31.07.-18.08. The study office will not be staffed during this time. E-mails will be answered in urgent cases.
Advisory service on site or via webex currently only by appointment.
Certificates of achievement can be submitted via e-mail.